346780, Town of Azov, III International square, 4
Phone numbers: (86342) 4-03-55 Fax: (86342) 4-15-66
Contemporary Azov is a cozy, small and very green town, with the industrial zone situated outside of the living area. The old historical part of the town still has the elements of the Azov fortress built in 18th century – the fortress walls, ditch, and the Alekseevkiy gates. The Azov historical monuments are protected by the government and administration.
In the I-III centuries there were the Meot tribes settlements on this site, surrounding the ancient Greek town of Tanais. In the ancient time the settlements were conquered by the Mitridad Pontiyskiy, then by the Sarmat, Hun, Khazar and Pecheneg tribes. In X-XII centuries, there was a Slovenian settlement on this site, being a part of the ancient Tmutarakanskyi princedom that was later on conquered by the Polovetskyi tribes around 1067. The Polovetskyi tribes’ prince Azun was murdered near this settlements (according to some historians, that is the origin of the Russian name “Azov”). The town Azak (arising from the Turkish “az ak” – meaning “the river creek”) was founded in 13th century, being one of the points of the Great Trade Way. At that period, the town Azov was captured by the Genoas settlers, was fortified by break walls, castles and served as a storage place for their Indian and Chinese commercial trades. In 1395, the town was destroyed by the Tamerlan army, and in 1400 was reconstructed by the Genoas settlers again.
The town history has many interesting periods. One of them is the famous Azov siege of 1641, when the Cossacks fortress with five thousand Cossacks was being defended from the 250 thousand Turkish army for 93 days and nights. The fortress was defended and the Turkish army was crushed and driven out from the Don land. Peter the Great’s Azov campaigns of 1695-1696 were glorified by the Turkish fortress seizure and gave access to the Southern seas.
Town of Azov was the center of the Azov province (1775-1782). In 19th century, it was a part of the Ekaterinoslavskaya province. Only in 1926, the town gained the independent status again.
During the Great Patriotic War period, the town was occupied by the German Nazi troops for six month and a half. 600 people were executed. More than 5000 Azov citizens were driven to Germany. The town itself was profoundly destroyed.
Since 1960th – 1980th, the contemporary Azov is a highly developed industrial town.
Azov is situated in the southwestern part of Rostov region, on the Don River left bank. It is located 15 km away from the Don River confluence with the Azov Sea’s Taganrog bay and 36 km away from Rostov-on-Don. It is connected with the regional center by the railway, motor and river transportation.
The town population is over 82 thousand people. There are more than 20 nationalities living in the town. The majority of them are: the Russians – 94%, the Ukrainians – 3,1%, the Belorussians – 0,5%. About 55% of the population is adults. The number of people involved in the economic trade is 34,0 thousand people, in production – 23,8 thousand people, in non-industrial sphere – 10,2 thousand people.
The leading town economic trades are: engineering (7 enterprises) and food industry (6 enterprises). The other trades include – the garment factory and light, food, furniture industry enterprises, the vitamin and protein dietary supplement producing plant, construction materials (concrete components) production.
The Azov agricultural trades are wheat, corn, and sunflower, vegetable and fruit growing, cattle-, swine-breeding and poultry keeping.
Due to the advantageous geographical location, the contemporary Azov is a highly developed international seaport, providing all the necessary infrastructure, processing per year over 1 million tons of various cargo, delivered by the sea and inner transportation on the “river-sea” type cargo ships, with the tonnage of 3000 - 5000 tons and draft up to 4 meters. Apart from the existing 7 berths, in 2002 began the construction of several grain terminals, port elevator, wood and technical spirits terminal, terminal for the ship bunkerage.
The Azov railway station is situated 30 km away from the Bataysk railway junction. It takes an hour to get from region centre to Azov by electric train or by bus, by route taxi – 40 minutes, by ship – 30 minutes.