346780, Azov, Moskovskaya st. 58.
Phone number: (86342) 4-04-60. Fax: (86342) 4-01-90
The Don river lower course and the South-Eastern Azov territory had always attracted nomadic tribes, such as Cimmerians, Scythians, Meots, Sarmats, Savromats, Alans, Khazars, Bulgars, Pechenegs, Tatars and various countries regents. In 13th and 14th centuries this land was captured by the Golden Horde Tatars. The Great Trade Silk Way passed through the Azak. Venice and Genoa had interest in the Azov territories, and since 1774, Azov and the South-Eastern Coast of the Azov Sea up to the river Eya became part of Russia, after the peace treaty with Turkey achieved in Kuchuk-Kainardjyisk. Russians, Ukrainians, Greeks, Armenians and Don Cossacks started to inhabit the new territory. The majority of the nowadays existing district villages were founded back in 1780-1830. Up to 1888 this territory was a part of the Ekaterinoslavskaya province, afterwards it became a part of the Rostov region Don Army. In the second quarter of the 19th century the Azov district provided wheat for the local market and for export. The inhabitants were occupied by fish catching and processing, selling agricultural products. Due to the Azov Trade Port development and rail way construction in 1911, the agricultural products export from the Azov district increased greatly.
The Azov district is situated to the South-West of Rostov region in delta of the Don river. The District North-Western part is washed by the Azov Sea’s Taganrog Bay.
District geographical situation is exceptionally profitable, first of all due to neighboring region largest cities. In the North it boarders with Neklinovskyi and Myasnikovskyi districts and Rostov-on-Don, in the West - with Bataisk and Kagalnizkyi district, in the South and West – with Krasnodar region. The distance from the Azov administrative centre to Rostov-on-Don is 25 km, to Taganrog – 92 km, Bataisk is 28 km away from Azov, Novocherkassk is 66 km away.
The distance from Azov to Krasnodar is 257 km, to Volgograd – 500 km, to Moscow – 1115 km.
Industry and Construction
There are three large industrial enterprises on the territory of Azov District. The largest of them is the "Azov plant of Child Nutrition", LLC (“AKDP”, 1694 people), it specializes in canned child nutrition production. The average production per year is 15 million cans. By the child nutrition production capacity, the enterprise is the largest in Europe. The plant produces up to thirty kinds of sauces and twenty five kinds of juices per year.
Last year the number of apartment houses with general area of 15,5 thousand square meters was set up in the district, this is the second result in the whole region. The length of all gas pipelines consists 597,47 km. More than 90 km of gas pipelines were constructed during the last three years. That led to gasification of villages Novomirskyi, Gusareva Balka, Pavlovka, Peshkovo, Krugloe, Golovatovka, Koluzaevo, Gorodishe, Kurgany, Kazachyi Erik. Gas pipelines are in construction in villages Stefanidar, Obuhovka and Dugino. Gas pipelines construction is planned for villages Aleksandrovka, Margaritovo, Port-Katon and Semibalki. More than 11 million rubles were provided from various finance sources for this purposes in 2001.
Azov District has one of the most highly developed educational systems in the region. It embraces 44 secondary schools, 2 children art centers, 37 kindergartens, 1 children sport school. The material base for educational institutions is being constantly consolidated. In recent years 6 schools and 3 kindergartens were renovated in the district, several villages got new kindergartens. The district has a wide experience in youth military-patriotic upbringing. Military and sport game “Zarnitsa” is taking place every year in the Aleksandrovskyi forest.
Azov district healthcare institutions net contains 2 districts hospitals, 4 local hospitals, 9 clinical ambulance stations, 50 therapy and obstetric care stations. Three honored doctors of Russian Federation and 20 healthcare distinguished doctors work in the district healthcare institutions.